Wednesday, July 15, 2020

AECP Altenew Academy: In The Mood for Color

In The Mood for Color (taught by Stephanie Klauck) was such an interesting class.  We learned to select colors based on the mood we are trying to convey.  Adding the right color can add depth and nuance to your project.

I chose to make a Thinking of You card and decided to use yellow to project optimism.  

I love the look of colored pencils, but they intimidate me a bit.  Stephanie inspired me to dust off my Polychromos and give them a try.  She walked us through the technique and I was pleased with my coloring. 

My Process:
  • I put my Lotus stamp in my Misti and stamped the bloom and stem on grey paper. I left the stamps in there while I colored.
  • Stephanie taught us to start with our lightest color, then add shadows with  our darker colors and then blend with our medium tones.  The key is to add lots of layers of color.  
  • The lines blur a bit with the pencil coloring so I then put the paper back in the Misti and restamped which resulted in crisp lines.
  • I fussy cut the images and then went around the edges with a black pen.
  • I wanted an accent strip so cut a strip of this designer paper and then mounted it on a piece of the grey Strathmore.
  • I stamped my sentiment on another strip of grey Strathmore so that there was continuity across the card.
  • I made an A2 top folding card, assembled with liquid glue and added some clear drop embellishments.  
Pro Tips:
  • Strathmore Toned Grey paper works great with colored pencils.
  • Keep your stamps in the Misti so you can restamp after coloring. This makes a huge difference!
Supplies Used:
Altenew Inked Lotus stamp
Altenew Jet Black Crisp Ink
Strathmore Toned Grey paper (for flower, border and sentiment strip)
Faber Castell Polychromo colored pencils
Scrap of Designer Paper
Slate cardstock (for A2 card base)
Clear Waterdrop embellishments

I am also playing along with:
Inkspirational #217 Painting or Coloring  I chose coloring with colored pencils.



UPDATE:  I am so pleased that this card was chosen as a Rising Star by A Place to Start!

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Very well written post too!
    Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Very modern color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I love yellow and how you used it here~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made such a great card Karen! I love that gorgeous flower, super colour combo and you did so well colouring with the pencils too. Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow and grey is one of my favourite colour combos and you did a beautiful job with the pencils. Thanks for joining in at Inkspirational Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellow and grey is always a winning combo, and you've done such a beautiful job with the colouring.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, You were selected as a Rising Star at A Place To Start for the week of July 13-July 19, 2020. Thanks so much for your beautiful and inspiring project! Please stop by and grab your badge.
    https://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading all the comments.

New Blog Site

Hello friends.  I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog site:  Kennyscards.com I'd love for you to pop over and check it ou...