Thursday, July 23, 2020

Altenew Academy: Creative Watercolor Media

Hello and welcome.  I just completed The Altenew Academy "Creative Watercolor Media" class and wanted to share this card with you.  
In class #4 we were taught how to watercolor with shimmer sprays.  I don't have any shimmer sprays so I hydrated some shimmer powders and used that instead.  In class #5, we learned to make watercolor backgrounds so I made a coordinating panel for the lotus.
My Process:
  • I thought Altenew's Inked Lotus would be so pretty with this technique so I stamped the images on watercolor paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink.  I then let it dry.
  • I hydrated 5 colors total, three for the lotus (pink, purple and blue) and two for the stem (green and yellow).  I then used the wet on wet technique as I dropped color into the the petals of the bloom.  The colors don't blend as well as watercolors, but the shimmer patina is so pretty in person.
  • I popped the watercolor panel back in my Misti and restamped the outline after the paint dried.
  • I decided to make a coordinating background so I spritzed the leftover shimmer paint on my media mat with additional water and then dipped a piece of watercolor paper into the puddle.  I dried and re-dredged until I liked the background.  I still had leftover ink so I was able to make a second background panel to keep with my "made ahead" backgrounds.  
  • The sentiment is from the same Inked Lotus stamp and die bundle.  I love when a stamp set has usable sentiments included.
Pro Tip:  The key to these watercolor backgrounds is to add lots of layers of color.  Dredge, dry and repeat until you like the panel.  

I am also playing along with The Flower Challenge and their Summer/Winter theme.  Summer for me!  I used cool blues and purples that remind me of a swimming pool.

I am so pleased that you stopped by!
Karen

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I love the soft look of your watercolour technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card Karen. Love the colour scheme. Thanks for sharing your process, I think I might have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and purple on flowers look always so dreamy and beautiful! Your lotus is no exception! Thank you so much for playing along at The Flower Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous!! LOVE the colours. Beautiful work!
    Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading all the comments.

New Blog Site

Hello friends.  I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog site:  Kennyscards.com I'd love for you to pop over and check it ou...