Sunday, October 11, 2020

Multi Media Cards With Loads of Gorgeous Texture


Hello, hello and welcome!  I am excited to share a couple of cards that I made after taking Demystifying Mixed Media at Altenew Academy.  I think I can safely say this is the most fun class I've taken to date.  Tania Ahmed is a wonderful and inspiring instructor and I went crazy making backgrounds!  I made 7 cards and 8 backgrounds, two of which I am showcasing in this blog post.  I will be sharing the rest of the cards in future posts.  

I love that there are really no rules with mixed media. It seems the best thing to do is lay out your messiest supplies and then select a bunch for each card.  Do not be a minimalist when experimenting with multi-media.
This first background was made by hand-dipping the background and custom tinting my embossing paste.  
  • I mixed Zig Cobalt Blue with water and Irridescent Shimmer Spray and then dipped a piece of Bristol cardstock into the colorful puddle.  I dried the panel and then repeated.
  • I tinted my Embossing Paste with Carved Pumpkin distress ink for a fallish vibe.  
  • I swiped the embossing paste over my stencil with a palette knife.  I wanted a rough look so I didn't cover the entire stencil and I made sure there was a variety of thickness to the paste. 
  • While the embossing paste was wet, I sprinkled just a bit of Peach Embossing Powder on the paste and then heat set. I love the texture and interest it adds. 
  • I heat embossed Altenew's Best Mom spray (in brown) and then watercolored and die-cut the image.  
I think the aqua, sherbet and brown make for a very striking card.

My second card uses watercolored embossing paste, tulle (a first on a card for me) and loads of paint splatters.

  • I applied texture paste through the Feathered Leaves Stencil and then heat set.
  • Using diluted watercolors mixed with shimmer spray, I loosely colored the background in blue and yellow.
  • Using a damp paint brush, I feathered the watercolor edges and then dabbed with a cloth to soften the edges.
  • I added blue, yellow and black paint splatters.  
  • I stamped, watercolored and die cut the  Weekend Doodles floral spray.
  • I cut an oval from some tulle gift wrapping ribbon and glued to the back of the floral spray and then adhered the combo to the card base.
  • I added a simple sentiment embellished with Painted Grid Washi Tape.

I am also playing along with:

Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge I used paint, shimmer spray, embossing paste, embossing powder and of course paper.  

The Flower Challenge #49 "Circles"  I love the textured circles on this background.

UPDATE:  The top card won at The Flower Challenge "Circles" Challenge

I hope you will stop by in the near future and see the rest of the Multi-Media cards that I created.

Karen

4 comments:

  1. Lovely cards. Fabulous backgrounds, delicate colours and pretty floral stamps.
    Thank you for joining in with our October challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful cards Karen! I esp. love the one you entered for 'The Flower Challenge' it's fabulous, love how you embossed the circles, so clever, such a pretty flower spray too ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, you have done an outstanding job! Bravo! Your cards look exquisite! Tania is going to be so proud of you.
    Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I do so love both of these cards. Fantastic design and colouring. Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge and we hope to see you there again soon. Aileen DesignTeam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading all the comments.

New Blog Site

Hello friends.  I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog site:  Kennyscards.com I'd love for you to pop over and check it ou...