Wednesday, October 7, 2020

WWC292 - Dawn's Challenge: Anything Goes With a Feminine Twist



 Hello, hello and welcome!  I created this card for this week's Watercooler Wednesday Challenge.  I recently took Altenew's Artist's Watercolor 101 course taught by Emily Midgett and the last class was on painting "white" flowers.  Such a pretty look but I had never attempted anything like it.

I started by heat embossing these big beautiful blooms (Picket Fence Studio Lily Coloring Class stamp).  Next I created a diluted grey watercolor halo around the flowers.  I started close to the image and then pulled the water out with a damp brush.  To ensure my brush didn't have too much water I dabbed it on a stamp shammy. This really helps me control the amount of water I use.  I let this layer dry completely.

Next I started on the blooms.  I added very diluted grey shadows but remembered it is important to leave some uncolored white areas so the flower appears to be white.  I then added bits of diluted blue and pink. Lastly, to brighten the bloom, I added hints of yellow to the edges of the petals.

I finished the background by adding diluted blue up close the the bloom and then moving the watercolor around the panel.  I did the same with pink and yellow so the colors of the flower and background were the same. 

This watercolor technique is very delicate and understated but is beautiful in person!

I am also playing along with:

Thank you for stopping by!
Karen








8 comments:

  1. Stunning card Karen, love your white lillies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful trio of lilies, Karen, and I love your delicate watercoloring!! What a gorgeous background you've achieved!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coloring is gorgeous!!! The background makes those flowers stand out beautifully!!! Thank you for joining us at the Rainbow Card Challenge. Hope to see you again next month.
    Elena DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Karen! It is beautiful delicate colouring. Well done! Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card. Your watercoloring is amazing. The flowers and background are stunning. Thanks for joining us at Rainbow Card Challenge.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So pretty! I am loving that background! The flowers are gorgeous! :) Thank you so much for joining us at the Rainbow Card Challenge! Hugs! Katy-DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is just stunning, Karen! The coloring is amazing. I love the hint of other colors you have added to the background. The effect is truly beautiful! Great to see you in the Rainbow Card Challenge gallery. Hope you will join us again this month. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card! Thank you for joining The Rainbow Card Challenge this month!

    Hugs,
    Mary Ellen
    TRCC DT, creativetimewithme.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading all the comments.

New Blog Site

Hello friends.  I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog site:  Kennyscards.com I'd love for you to pop over and check it ou...